No More Droopy Drawers

In Flint Michigan, it's now illegal to have droopy drawers. The crime is disorderly conduct or indecent exposure and both misdemeanors are punishable by 93 days to a year in jail and/or fines up to $500.



The chief of police, David Dicks, says it's immoral, indecent, and a national nuisance. (found here)

While I personally can't stand the style of saggy pants, does it really require the police to intervene? I heard recently that they are trying to make a law against it in Florida somewhere. (I can't remember exactly where, sorry). I have very mixed feelings about this.

I think our government is too involved in certain issues of society. This is one of them. I grew up in the 70's and 80's, so I know all about weird fashions. If people want to look stupid and ridiculous, that's their business. If guys want to walk around holding their pants up, who am I to say there should be a law against it? If it's a crime for people to show their underwear, and the cracks of their ass, they're going to have to also arrest every plumber out there, and many construction worker too.

What about other fashion faux pas? Like fat women who wear miss teen clothes, or anyone showing their showing their muffin tops? I hate that too. Yeah, it's a crime of humanity, a crime of fashion, but do they need to do jail time? That's just plain dumb, in my opinion.

You can't regulate fashion. The more you try to control people, the more they'll find ways to rebel. You may not like the style any more than I do, but just imagine what will come next if we outlaw this. For those of you who say it's racist, that's nonsense. I've seen all kinds of people dress this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment