I thought I'd share this with you. The BBC has a page for each religion where they give a bit of information at a glance, and one for atheism too.
Atheism is the absence of belief in any gods or spiritual beings. The word Atheism comes from a, meaning without, and theism meaning belief in god or gods.
- Atheists don't use god to explain the existence of the universe.
- Atheists say that human beings can devise suitable moral codes to live by without the aid of Gods or scriptures.
Reasons for non-belief
People are atheist for many reasons, among them:
- They find insufficient evidence to support any religion.
- They think that religion is nonsensical.
- They once had a religion and have lost faith in it.
- They live in a non-religious culture.
- Religion doesn't interest them.
- Religion doesn't seem relevant to their lives.
- Religions seem to have done a lot of harm in the world.
- The world is such a bad place that there can't be a god.
It is possible to be both atheist and religious. Virtually all Buddhists manage it, as do adherents of other religions, such as Judaism and Christianity.
But many atheists are also secularist, and are hostile to any special treatment given to organised religion.
Atheists and morality
Atheists are as moral (or immoral) as religious people.
In practical terms atheists often follow the same moral code as religious people, but they arrive at the decision of what is good or bad without any help from the idea of god.
What does it mean to be human?
Atheists find their own answers to the question of what it means to be human.
What are your main reasons for being an atheist? Mine are:
- There is zero evidence of the supernatural in any shape or form. (except the Invisible Pink Unicorn, may you die an honorable death, trampled under her holy pink hooves!)
- Religion is harmful if swallowed. It survives and thrives on indoctrination/brainwashing, especially in early childhood when a person has no defense for its insanity.
- Religion has caused more death, murder, destruction, harm, repression, ignorance, destruction of knowledge, etc, than anything else.
- I live in a religious culture and I see the hypocrisy and harm it causes.
- The morality of the religious is twisted and usually extremely hypocritical. As an atheist I have my own moral code that doesn't rely on 2,000 year old rules from desert goat herders who liked to stone people for wearing 2 different fibers at the same time.
- Life does not appear to be sacred to the religious, despite their constant braying about the issue. The religious seem desperate to control everyone's life but their own. (More hypocrisy). The religious subjugate themselves in this life (at least they pretend on the surface, while breaking their rules in secret often) because they want eternal life that doesn't involve roasting forever in hell (so it's based on fear of suffering, not on being good for goodness sake).As an atheist, this the the only life I have. It is natural, amazing, awe-inspiring, and precious beyond measure. Every moment is to be treasured and lived fully.
- Religion is based on faith, which by definition, has no proof. Religion abhors such free thought. I embrace reason, critical thinking, logic, observation, experimentation, facts, science, intelligence, freethought and skepticism. Basically I believe in using your brain, and thinking for yourself.
That's my short list. I'm sure I have other reasons for being an atheist but I can't think of them offhand. So what are yours?