FREE Scanning Electron Micrographs of Just About Anything

An interesting offer from ASPEX
November 10, 2009 2:54 PM - by PZ Myers


I had my doubts about this; I got an offer from ASPEX corporation to let people get free scanning electron micrographs of just about anything. They make a desktop SEM (Scanning Electron Micrograph), and all you have to do is fill out a form and mail it in with your sample of a dead bug or a microchip or bacon, and presto, within a few weeks they'll have it scanned in and the image available on their website.

I asked them if they knew how many readers I have, and they said no problem, they can handle it.

Huh.

Well, you heard them. Scavenge your trash cans, dig into your local sources of vermin and oddments, and send them in. I'm thinking this could be really fun for any school teachers out there — you could have the whole class looking for interesting specimens to zoom in on. You can see their current galleries for ideas.


Follow the instructions here to get your dead bugs and rotten food scanned for free.

If you do send something in to get scanned be sure to note that you found them via PZ; and be sure to come back here and share your scan with the rest of us!

5 comments:

  1. Wow, that is AMAZINGLY cool! Thanks for reposting that here, Johnny. You ROCK! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. You bet! I thought you might like this.

    I'm wandering the house, looking for something to send in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I'm looking for something to send in, too! So far I haven't found anything clever or interesting. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. How about this, an old toothbrush? Is that too gross?

    ReplyDelete