It's almost 9-11-11. (Which means today was 9-10-11 and yes I sort of numerically geeked out when I realized it). It's been 10 years and what do we have to show for all those lost lives and tragedy? I'm not going to say too much about it. We were sitting in a hospital waiting area today and all that they showed on TV was 9-11 stuff. Pontificating buffoons dredging up old wounds. (is that a mixed metaphor? I do believe it is, sorry).

I hate that all those people died in the name of an angry, invisible, hateful, humorless, imaginary, ancient god. But I'm not going to get into politics. I'm sure you've been inundated with what's wrong with America/Christians/Muslims/Humanity/The Left/The Right or whatever soapbox the flavor of the hour has climbed up on.

What I do want to show you is the following video. My friend Kevin told me about it and my first reaction was "wow, I really want to share this with everyone."
"The Pitch' is a segment on ABC TV's 'The Gruen Transfer' where two ad companies compete to 'sell the unsellable'. In this video they have to seel the idea of 'banning all religion'.


I'd say both companies definitely won. But hear me loud and clear. I don't think we can or should ban religion. Still these ads were well done and maybe made a case more for letting go of and moving past religion than actually banning it (which would only increase the persecution complexes and the hatred, etc)

Maybe what would be good to do today is think about how far we've come in the last ten years. Are there any improvements? Is there anything positive? What good lessons have we learned? If we can learn something from it, those people didn't die entirely in vain. These are randomly off the top of my head. Please add to the list:

  • Our world is exponentially more connected than 10 years ago (this can be seen as both positive and negative, but let's see the positive for right now).

  • There are a lot more atheists around the world, either out of the religious closet or actually newly free of religious dogma - in fact, when 9-11 happened I would have still called myself a Christian.

  • Atheists, Freethinkers and Humanists are speaking up more. We are finding our voice and being heard. They are writing books, and we are blogging and talking about important issues.

  • Atheists/Freethinkers/Humanists/Skeptics (AFHS) have their own conventions now, and are starting to build local, national and international organizations, connections and communities.

  • AFHS are being called to action, to do Good Without God, and even to just stand up and say "I am your neighbor, I am a good person, and I am godless".

  • AFHSare writing more books, blogging,

  • AFHS are holding religious people and organizations accountable, whether it be to keep evolution in schools and intelligent design out, or shining a light on child abuse in the catholic church and cults.

  • We are spreading Reason and Science around the globe!


Ok, it's now 12:05 on 9-11 so if you can, take the time to reflect today. How far have you come in the last 10 years? How far has humanity come? What good has happened? Please share it. It's important.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment