Almost every culture on the planet has created gods, probably since the beginning of human consciousness. It seems like it's a natural process, to try to explain things they don't or can't understand, to have a parental figure to keep people in line, and to watch over them, etc.
There are common threads with many gods, such as immortality. But usually the individual traits of a god are made in the image of the humans imagining it.
So here is my question to you. If you were to create a new god, what would it be like? Assume that the god you'd create would be one you'd like.
Here is the god I'd make, at the moment. I'm sure this will change once I get some good ideas from all of you.
- All sexes (like a hermaphrodite, but this would be conceptual more than anything) so that it would relate to all sexes
- Good and gentle sense of humor
- A parental attitude to how we live our lives - so it would let us make mistakes and grown as a civilization on our own
- Doesn't need or want to be worship
- Lets us have a clause that when we die, it will be painless (sorry, I hate the idea of suffering when we die)
Aspects that I am still mulling over for my god:
- Perfection - I think this might be a bit boring, to be completely perfect. I'm not sure about it. In other words, if god created everything in perfection, we wouldn't have any room to grow.
But actually, we don't need a god and I'm glad we don't have any. We've already made it past the "baby" stage in our development as a species. We can work things out for ourselves. We need to take responsibility for ourselves, and we deserve the credit for how far and fast we've advanced.
So really, the way we have it now, on our own, has worked so far. Sure, we could be less violent and destructive as a species, but overall, I don't need anything supernatural, including a supreme parental figure.