Oh Noes! Neece is Out of Steam!

Ohmygosh, I'm really sorry. I really wanted to get another logical fallacy up today. But it just isn't going to happen tonight, I don't think. Why? Oh, how kind of you to ask!

Well, it all started a few weeks ago. I was talking to Jill, a friend of mine, about diet and exercise. She linked me to LiveStrong.com, namely, The Daily Plate. It's a site by Lance Armstrong. I don't use all of it, but The Daily Plate is really cool.

I get to put in what I eat every day and what exercise I do and it tells me how many calories I've burned and how many more calories I can eat and still lose a bit of weight, maintain my weight, or even gain, if that's my goal. I have my measurements in there and am tracking all kinds of neat little things that are incredibly motivating. It's free, I don't use the premium features, which are available, but the free parts are quite excellent on their own.

Since I've started I've lost a few pounds and have really been motivated to do more around the house (like cleaning, or whatever) for the simple reason that it was great for burning calories. Finding motivation can be so tough, but this has been great for me.

Anyway, I've been looking more closely at what I eat, too, and have been mortified at what's really in some of the foods I was casually eating. One thing I had been having occasionally was Marie Callender's turkey pot pies. They're pretty good. We were getting the 4 pack, which are smaller and have mostly gravy and not much in them, yet somehow pack a huge punch with calories and fat and carbs and stuff. Like almost 700 calories or something like that! So, no more of that for me once I realized it! No wonder weight was creeping up on me!

Then, on a podcast the other day, I heard of a study that said that people who keep a food log (like you do for free on LiveStrong) are able to lose TWICE as much weight as those who don't. The study was mentioned on Scientific American's podcast. Just search on there for food diary and you'll find it.

That was even more motivating!

So, now it's getting really cold lately. (It seems like this is going to be a really cold winter, but that's just a feeling I have) So I've been thinking of soup and stews and stuff. Since everything that you get that's already made is junk, I decided to try to make a soup or two myself.

My friend Gary helped me find a source of recipes and stuff, so I've been working on making one here and there... much tastier than Campbell's and hopefully a bit healthier too. This led me to think that MAYBE I could make a chicken pot pie!

So, today, after finding a recipe from Gary which I then modified greatly, I decided today would be the day. I'd whip up 2 pot pies for dinner. It took THREE hours! Actually, probably more. The good news is that cooking burns a decent amount of calories, so I wasn't too upset about it.

But now the pot pies are baking as I type, and my back and feet really really hurt, and I just can't get my brain into research and Think mode. I'm sorry!

Oh, I sure do hope these pot pies are delicious! I'll let you know!

Also, on a side note, we went shopping yesterday and would you believe it? We found a Wii Fit just sitting there all alone! So we got it! I tried it last night and it's FUN! I love it! My Wii Age is 47, though, which is kind of sad, since I'm only 39. I guess it could be worse.

Anyway, I thought I was going to hate this thing, but it really is fun. The mini games/training is challenging and entertaining, and very motivating. I was looking forward to playing again today, but alas, it took all afternoon to make pot pies. There's always tomorrow, though.

Ok, my husband Butch just pulled up so we're going to go eat pot pies. Have a great evening and I will do my best to get the next logical fallacy up as soon as I can!

Later: Ok.. the pot pies were good. Needed more gravy though. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment