So Angie would like us to come up with creative stump-the-fundie questions to add to her list.
You can see the first 10 questions to get you started on her blog post: Questions for christians.In her list are 2 videos you simply must watch. The first one is gay dolphin sex. I mean, come on, you really don't want to pass that up, do you? The second one is a music video that is just awesome. I hate country AND western music, but this was so good I watched the whole thing. Highly recommended.
Here is a quick list of her questions so far (but go to her post to see more detail)
- If homosexuality is a sin, are gay dolphins sinning when they have gay sex in a public aquarium? (really, go watch the video. I'll wait. The kids watching are priceless, as is the dad recording)
- Will there be jello molds with marshmallows in them in heaven? Explain.
- Which is a bigger sin? (compare Noah's naked drunkenness to Lot's naked drunkenness plus sex with his daughters) Note: Noah and Lot were the best and holiest men in their communities and both got dead drunk and were naked in front of their kids. Lot had sex with his daughters too. Great role models, eh?
- What Would Jesus Do? (go watch the video. It will crack you up. I'll wait for you.)
- If god is better than we are, how come we can think up unicorns but he can't make them?
- Same with mermaids.
- Did Jesus have acne as a teenager? Please explain.
- Why is the Brick Testament the best version of the bible?
- Why is christian music so painfully square?
- Is it better to be right or popular? (Angie throws in this one because Christian teens especially are repeatedly told they are being persecuted, that it's hard to be christian in this "secular world", etc. Get them to agree being popular is less important, and then present them with the facts about christian persecution with this handy pie chart!)
Some people have commented so far with suggestions:
- Should god be put on trial for crimes against humanity?
- List 5 flaws of christianity, 5 contradictions in the bible and 5 similarities between christianity and another religion other than judaism or islam.
This is my (Neece's) addition, which is really a couple questions:
- Why did Jesus only perform either simple miracles only based on anecdotal evidence or self indulgent miracles? Why didn't he cure all blindness for humanity? Why didn't he make it so that all children under age 5 didn't die or something? Cursing a fig tree, turning water into wine at a wedding and walking on water are pretty lame "tricks" that benefited no one. Shouldn't the son of god have been more "godly"? Shouldn't he have also been literate and written down exactly what he wanted future generations to know about him instead of relying on writers who never met him?
Angie added a couple more:
- What does god have against pillows? Ezekiel 13:18-21
- Why do YOU think there are rainbows? (please say Noah, please say Noah!)
I have to say, some of these are thoughtful and provocative. There are a few I don't understand and am not sure if they would further a debate or not. But if we could all have a solid list of great questions to really make christians think, that would be awesome! So send in your ideas. Please leave comments on the original post. I'd love you to leave the same comment here for us at HDC as well. I'll keep you posted on the list's progress!